The cathedral and imperial city of Fritzlar, which will celebrate its 1300th anniversary in 2024, is located in northern Hesse near the river Eder. The surrounding North Hessian mountains are criss-crossed by cycling and hiking trails.
Fritzlar was first mentioned in 724. A year earlier, Saint Boniface felled the Thor-oak, the sanctuary of the Chatti. From the wood of this oak he built a church, on the site of which the mighty St. Peter’s Cathedral was later built. The cathedral and the cathedral treasury can be visited.
In 919, the Saxon duke Heinrich was elected king in Fritzlar.
In 1066 the city became the property of the Archbishop of Mainz, which is why the Fritzlar city coat of arms still contains the Mainz wheel today.
In the city center, which is still almost completely surrounded by the old city wall, there are many beautiful half-timbered houses. The market square, where a weekly market takes place on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings, is particularly beautiful.
Today Fritzlar has more than 14,500 inhabitants and is an important medium-sized center in northern Hesse. The small town is located in the scenic Schwalm-Eder district and is one of the most popular places to live in the region, as there are jobs, schools, medical care and numerous leisure activities for all age groups.
The city has an almost completely preserved medieval city center in which modern life pulsates.
In addition to the core city of Fritzlar itself, there are ten districts: